WELCOME

Thanks for stopping by...

About Me

My photo
I live in Calgary, Alberta CANADA...home of the NHL's Flames and the WHL's Hitmen. I love watching hockey. My favorite player is Alexander Ovechkin, followed closely by Nicklas Bäckström. Then there's my goalies Henrik Lundqvist, and Carey Price. I also like watching the dynamic duo of Toews and Kane. I like watching the Caps, Rangers, Habs, Hawks, and Canucks. But I'll watch anyone play anyone, at any time. I love the game that much. In my limited spare time, I am learning Swedish. I've actually been taking lessons since the NHL lockout in 2004. So, it stands to reason that I pay extra close attention to Swedish players/prospects. Pretty much the only time I'm not thinking hockey is when I'm sleeping, or when I'm at my boxing club.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Sympathic friends

Over the last few days, I've gotten a lot of sympathy from everywhere - friends, co-workers, my students, family, my Swedish instructor. I've received texts, emails and phone calls from people who fall into one of two categories. Either they want to trash talk (with a Go Canada Go!)or they are genuinely sympathetic towards me and ask how I'm coping.
The longest distance was Newcastle, Australia, where a good friend lives. We worked together every day for five years, and she knows me better than most people. She fell into the category of genuine sympathy. Her husband is Slovakian by birth, so there was a little trash-talk from him, given that the Slovaks beat Sweden 4 - 3.
I guess it goes to show that anyone who knows me, knows how much Alexander Ovechkin and his Russian comrades as well as Tre Kronor mean to me.