WELCOME

Thanks for stopping by...

About Me

My photo
I live in Calgary, Alberta CANADA...home of the NHL's Flames and the WHL's Hitmen. I love watching hockey. My favorite player is Alexander Ovechkin, followed closely by Nicklas Bäckström. Then there's my goalies Henrik Lundqvist, and Carey Price. I also like watching the dynamic duo of Toews and Kane. I like watching the Caps, Rangers, Habs, Hawks, and Canucks. But I'll watch anyone play anyone, at any time. I love the game that much. In my limited spare time, I am learning Swedish. I've actually been taking lessons since the NHL lockout in 2004. So, it stands to reason that I pay extra close attention to Swedish players/prospects. Pretty much the only time I'm not thinking hockey is when I'm sleeping, or when I'm at my boxing club.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Playoffs so far...(smack in the middle of round 1)

This is why I love playoff hockey -- 4 of my favorite teams are playing each other in this year's version of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Henrik Lundqvist is my favorite goaltender. That's why it is bittersweet to watch my favorite forward score on him. I cheer when he makes a spectacular save, but curse my boys for not scoring on him. And I cheer when my boys score on him, but curse for him being scored on. It's like I have split personalities when watching the Caps/Rangers series.

Eastern Conference
Washington Capitals (1) v New York Rangers (8)
With the series at 3 - 1 for the Eastern Conference Champion Washington Capitals, the Rangers are in tough. Recent history tho' suggests that the Caps will allow the Rangers to even the series and take it to a game seven. Washington has stuggled in the last three seasons to finish off a series in less than the series maximum. In fact, they've actually lost more game 7s than they've won in that span. (We lost in 7 to Philly three seasons ago, the Rangers in 7 two seasons ago, and to the Habs in game seven last season). So, I am concerned about the Caps ability to finish off an opponent. Of course, this is a much more defensive minded squad than we've had in the last three playoffs.
As far as the Rangers go, I am continually amazed at Henrik Lundqvist's ability to steal games for his team. He really is fun to watch.

Game 4 of the series (played last night) saw the Rangers take a 3 - 0 lead, only to lose it by allowing 3 straight Capitals goals (two by Swedish rookie Marcus Johansson). The game went to double OT, with the game winner netted by Jason Chimera on a Rangers miscue.
We'll see on Saturday if the Caps can close out the series.
My bet is that the Rangers will steal one on the road at the Verizon Centre to make the series interesting (making it 3 - 2 Caps). Then the Caps will hopefully close it out on the road at MSG in 6 games. So, my prediction - Caps in 6.

Western Conference
Vancouver Canucks (1) v Chicago Blackhawks (8)

I have been a Canucks fan since I was a teenager. Pavel Bure was my favorite player at one point in my life, so I feel a sense of loyalty to the Canucks to this day. My Hawks devotion corresponds to Jonathan Toews rookie season. I'm a world junior tourny watcher, so I've been following his career for a long time. I also noticed Pat Kane during a couple of WJC tourneys and couldn't believe my hockey luck when they were drafted to the same team.
Anyway, a couple of days ago, the series was 3 - 0 Canucks. I thought all day about game 4, and prayed to the hockey gods for a couple of more games with my boys Tazer and Kaner. With their 7 - 2 lashing of the Canucks in the 4th game, the Hawks are forcing a game 5, and will hopefully take the series to 7 games. The Canucks looked less than their President's Trophy winning selves, with the Sedins having a rare off game.
There has been a lot of drama in the series so far, with big head Raffi Torres' blindsided hit on Brent Seabrook in game 3 causing a broo-ha-ha within the League. Big Head was not suspended and Seabrook missed game 4. Hawks David Bolland returned and lit a spark under the Hawks that was, for some reason, missing for the first three games.
(I loved the Oilers for about 20 years and Raffi was part of my team a few years back, and I called him Big Head back then, so I'm not being malicious when I call him that)
I still think the Canucks are going to win the series, but it would sure be nice to get a few more games out of the series. I woudn't be broken up if the Hawks upset the Nucks tho'. I was overjoyed when they won the Cup last season, and cried tears of joy when Tazer earned the Conn Smythe.

I love this time of year!!